Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Race To Being One Dimensional, Their One Trick Ponies And Other Excuses, Entry One

In 1994 I purchased my very first computer. I did it through my company's then new computer program. They set a limit, you can buy from a couple of places and over one to four years you can pay the company back. It was a miracle, a happy and amazing chance to be a part of a new world and I took it. $4000 for a Micron Computer with a monitor whose caboose was so huge two people needed to pick it up.

I learned all about the World Wide Web that year, most of the websites were nothing but text, some with little to no pictures. You had to scroll for days it seemed to read all the content that these sites were trying to provide. I then literally picked up the Complete Book of HTML and me and my notepad in Microsoft Office went to town as they say. I started writing code. HARD CORE CODE, practically pen to paper. I created websites.

It'll be 20 years next year and I'm nowhere near as proficient in web designs today. The madness of making the website STIMULATING is ridiculous. Bells and whistles. Everyone wants, NO, THEY DEMAND to be entertained, stimulated. Gone are the days that data was good all by itself. Now, it must come with an animated chart or slide show.
I see life has turned out the same way these last 20 years. DISTRACTIONS. EXCUSES. All of it, because all it does is keep people from the core facts.

Blogs. I used to write a blog just to write down the things that added value and meaning to my life at the time. If it motivated and inspired someone then it was even more of a plus. I'm a nurturer, a giver. Not many of us nowadays, or so it seems. I've come across a WHOLE LOT OF TAKERS. I don't know. Maybe it's me. I'm putting out a vibe that says, "hey, giver over here. Free lunch." When I read, and I read a lot I try to learn things. I mean I read articles as often as I can. More than watch videos really, because my mind wanders too much during videos. See, I GET DISTRACTED. But when I read, I have to focus. So, I read an article about writing a successful blog and you had to do so many things to your words! (make them bold, give each paragraph a title, make that title shiny and dance, add pictures, but wait! If you add videos then your audience will love it that much more!)

So, I'm thinking, this is why I may start to write about something meaningful but the blog world are so full of idiots now that whatever I wanted has lost all meaning because I've spent five hours BLINGING OUT MY BLOG. Why? People will read it because of the WORDS right? Not because of the all the stimulating and entertaining crap! At least I don't read articles because of all the stupid tags I can click on. I'd never finish the damn thing. Hmmm, was that the point?

So I've decided I'd like to go back. One of my favorite sayings is "sometimes you have to go back a few steps to then go forward". Sounds good. So, it's 1994 and I'm going to write about things that I find meaningful. If it motivates and inspires then great. See, I'm a giver and I like helping others. It makes me feel good about myself. Only, I'm not going to try to stimulate and entertain because that's not my job. Bells and whistles can be purchased at Party City.

THIS IS A TITLE FOR MY NEXT TRAIN OF THOUGHT. Why? Because I put it in caps.

July 2013 has been overly emotional where I'm at. Personally and publicly. The fact that I'm writing is how I'm handling the personal stuff. Writing sometimes makes me feel better. I don't do it enough. Now publicly, it seems the world has come the fucking edge of the proverbial cliff. I mean WTF Earth? An article I read about writing (you're going to come across a lot of these) says to keep to one message. Why? Can't people handle more than one at a time? But for the sake of not making this not only the longest blog entry in the world, I'll just deal with the most mind boggling event that have been bugging me and deal with them the only way I know how - drinking. Yeah, that's another issue but not here, not today. Actually, this issue was so caught up in my mind and heart and soul that drinking wasn't going to help in any way. I also didn't relish the idea of being sick for 24 hours and still having the idea of these events bugging me - what a waste of time.

Ok, so this thing had to do with sports and singing. Yeah, in this country and I think in most of them, the ritual of singing the national anthem is a show of respect. For the country, the team, the sport itself. Twice now the idiots with no lives went on social media witch hunts and decided all by their lonesome WHO should NOT have the privilege or the honor of singing those songs at those events.

I'm a doer. I'm also an expert procrastinator but I like to feel that at least I'm doing something. Something. So what's someone like me, average in most ways when compared to the rest of the literate world, to do when a social issue arises? I don't want to add to the bullshit screamers. The ones who write on all their profiles all day their opinions believing it will actually make a difference. Now, that's not to say that people shouldn't. Writing your feelings down is a cathartic exercise and if bitching to your friends on network sites makes you feel better then hey - GO FORTH AND ROCK YOUR VENTING. But for me, I feel as if I'm spinning my wheels and my head is already in a fight to shake the cobwebs I feel at 47.

So I did the second thing I like doing and that's research or as you young ones call it SURFING which I'm sure the pre-teens now call it GOOGLING. (My first and favorite Search Engine by the way was METACRAWLER. It was the Mother of ALL Search Engines. For another time.) So I'm researching what all the hullabaloo was about. An 11 year old boy, Sebastian Cruz, who found some fame by being a contestant on a TV Competition Show was asked to sing the National Anthem at a basketball game in his home town. Hey, sounds simple enough. Good for him. So I go to the video website and watch his performance. Oh wow, he was adorable and amazing! He even wore his cool Mariachi clothes... you know because he was a member of a Mariachi Band, the band that was on the show.

Then all hell breaks loose on the internet because a bunch of couch potatoes thought the boy was not an American citizen and that ONLY REAL AMERICANS should be allowed to sing the song... Hmmm, ok but did anybody do their due diligence (oh I'm sorry was that too smart for the couch potatoes? They're not reading this: NO PICTURES) or shall I say RESEARCH before they put their foots in their mouths - or asses - either one. Uhhh, nope. They surely didn't.

HA! It turns out that the little boy was born in the country so screw you you idiots, he's American AND he was invited to DO IT AGAIN. Are the couch cretins upset that THEY weren't asked to sing? I don't know. So, I go back to my ho-hum life and everything is trudging along. Then, wouldn't you believe it! AGAIN! Only this time the fools are freaking out about a TWO TIME GRAMMY AWARD WINNING CELEBRITY! Oh my goodness! Really?!? But this gentlemen I knew! I had even met him! In 1996, at the Copacabana in NYC, back when I was young and honestly thought I could be in the Music Industry without any music background. (Yes, I know, for another time)

Marc Anthony. His voice is beyond silk. The power behind his voice is so strong that I'm sure it could turn on a car. I feel the same about another of his colleagues, La India. Both are of Borinquen descent. I can relate to that, so am I. Like them I too was born in the United States of America. We're all American, only my voice can't start the engine of a car the way those two can.

Again, I go and research and hear it for myself. His rendition of God Bless America gave me chills. Hell, my engine had definitely gone VAROOM. For the adolescents reading this, NO. I felt pride, in guess what! My country, that team (which happened to be in MY TOWN) that sport. WOW! HE WAS PHENOMENAL! They should bring him back! Again! WHAT'S THE FUCKING HULLABALOO?

Ah, the ass clowns (this is new, I thought I'd try it out) thought with their toes and not their heads and went off yet again about the "foreigner" who was chosen to sing the national anthem. If I roll my eyes any more they will surely lock up at the back of my head. This man is not only an expert at his profession (awards, a career that has provided him with millions of dollars, fans, opportunities, you know, his job) he's adored by millions all over the world and a few hundred stupid Americans took the time out to show their disturbed disappointment that HE was asked to sing the song.

It got me to thinking. After all, at the bottom of all this there was something deep, disturbing, like mildew. What was happening in this country where idiots thought not only that it was alright to demean and dehumanize another human being in public forums for simply doing nothing but for existing??? They were different and so what. When did it become alright? Personally, in my opinion (because after all that is what a blog is, a place for opinions) that crack in the country came about when that disrespectful woman, who happened to be a public official put her finger in the face of our current President. You know the disrespectful WHITE bitch who disrespected our BLACK President? I'm not being racist I'm just expressing my disgust and using adjectives to emphasize it.

All of a sudden it was happening more and more. Things that were once unimaginable, like interrupting the President during a speech was happening all of a sudden! (I mean a man threw a shoe at the last one and ended up in prison after all! Oh wait, that was in another country!) LIAR! Wait a minute! Did another elected official just call our current President a LIAR - DURING A SPEECH? What the hell is this world coming to? I mean, he won two elections, so the country had spoken right? Or had it?

So back to the issue of AMERICANS SINGING AT AMERICAN PASTTIMES. Well, you know what I did, I researched it and I thought about it and in this case I say, give the cretins what they want. I even thought I would do something about it. See, I'm a doer.

AMERICANS SINGING AT AMERICAN PASTTIMES - http://www.thepetitionsite.com/761/965/698/american-singers-for-our-american-pasttimes/

So this is where this post will end off. Because in writing the petition I know anyone interested will go and read it. Then decide if they want to sign it or not and hopefully, the time spent here has inspired an action, to sign it, to share it, to comment... something. As to the issue at hand. The racism that came spilling out into the very cracks of all our main streets, I believe that if this President doesn't STAND HIS GROUND and push back, we're in for even worse.... and yes, that last "crack" will be the topic of my next entry, along with something to do. Because, you see, I'm a doer.


Carmen M. Colon is a mother, an engineer, an education and childrens advocate, an author and a workshop facilitator on the topics of leadership, womens empowerment, career advancement and now on parenting. She is writing a series of "Dear Kids" letters to her three sons on a series of topics and issues.
Her website is http://carmenmcolon.info
Her books can be found online: http://amazon.com/author/carmencolon

No comments: